Celynen Collieries Institute & Memorial (known as Newbridge Memo) are Grade II and Grade II* listed buildings in the heart of Newbridge, south Wales. The Institute building which opened in 1908 is a lasting monument to the miners who worked so hard to build it and the Memorial Hall built in 1924 serves as a memorial to the local servicemen who lost their lives during WWI.
The decision to form the Welcome Home Committee to honour those Newbridge soldiers and sailors who had fought in the First World War was made at a public meeting at the Celynen Collieries' Institute on 21st November 1918. The committee produced commemorative gold medals for all those who returned from the conflict and to the next of kin of those who did not.
The Memorial Hall was built to remember those who died in WWI and through its front entrance doors a white marble tablet is placed high on the wall. This is the original memorial tablet dedicated to those who fell in the Great War (WWI).
The stone is white marble and has lettering engraving into it, coloured in black with capital letters picked out in red (denoted below as bold). The words ‘Gwell Angau Na Gwarth’ (Death before Disgrace) flank a Welsh dragon, symbol of the South Wales Borderers (now part of the Royal Regiment of Wales) with whom most of the volunteers served.
Below is the text on the stone:
ERECTED IN EVERLASTING MEMORY
OF ALL OUR MEMBERS
WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR
1914 ~ 1918
THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE
Currently on display in the Link Block are the illuminated Rolls of Honour commemorating those who served and died in WWI and WWII. Please get in touch if you would like to come and view these.
Recently refurbished with dedication and care, the Memo has once again become a crucial hub for our local community, with a busy modern library, daily classes and events and a variety of evening entertainment. In November 2014 the Art Deco auditorium reopened its doors, filling the space with music and theatre once again.