The decision to form the Welcome Home Committee to honour those Newbridge soldiers and sailors who had fought in the First World War was made at a public meeting at the Celynen Collieries' Institute on 21st November 1918. The committee produced commemorative gold medals for all those who returned from the conflict and to the next of kin of those who did not.
The Memorial Hall was built to remember those who died in WWI and through its front entrance doors a white marble tablet is placed high on the wall. This is the original memorial tablet dedicated to those who fell in the Great War (now called World War I).
The stone is white marble and has lettering engraving into it, coloured in black with capital letters picked out in red (denoted below as bold). The words ‘Gwell Angau Na Gwarth’ (Death before Disgrace) flank a Welsh dragon, symbol of the South Wales Borderers (now part of the Royal Regiment of Wales) with whom most of the volunteers served.
Below is the text on the stone:
ERECTED IN EVERLASTING MEMORY
OF ALL OUR MEMBERS
WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR
1914 ~ 1918
THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE
Currently held in the Institute next door are three illuminated rolls of honour, two commemorating WWI and one commemorating WWII. Of the two from the WWI, one is small, listing 25 names most with service and regiment and the second lists the 75 names of those in service from Newbridge who were killed. The largest of the three rolls of honour is from the Second World War and this is an outstanding piece of art work. In the central panel there is a list of 25 of the dead and in the panels either side of the central section of the names of the dead are a list of “Those Who Served”.
Quite apart from remembrance linked with the Celynen Institute and Memorial Hall the people of Newbridge funded the Newbridge War Memorial which was unveiled in October 1936. This was once situated at the top of the hill in Caetwmpyn Park and it was a visible reminder to the people of the sacrifice made by the people of the town. In 1995 the Newbridge War Memorial was removed and placed next to the Oakdale Institute in the grounds of St Fagan’s, National Museum of Wales.